[ SHOWGSD-L ] Amateur Futurity

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 20:47:09 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/11/2012 1:03:47 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Scharo777@xxxxxxx writes:
What I  don't understand is the animosity against the Amateur  Futurity.

I support all the Juniors.  This year I incorporated an organization  to
provide a prize to the Best Junior. Each Junior who enters the National will
be given a gold pin to wear all during the show, then each class winner will
be  awarded a medallion on a ribbon. The winner will get a large gold and
blue  medal.

At the after show dinner there will be a plaque and US Saving bond for the
Best Junior Handler in trust for when they turn 18.

(I am still accepting donations, please consider it.  All money will  go
directly to the winners, all expenses will be donated by me).  Juniors  by
definition are our top amateurs.

But, the Junior handler I have worked with, started in the regular shows
against the top handlers, and with no limitations on the competition. She
showed  for months without any wins, but she watched, learned and grew. With
time and  knowledge she became a talented handler and after one year of hard
work, Summer has finished two champions.

She did handle in the amateur futurity for someone,and did well. But, it
was the challenge of competing with the top handlers who allowed her to grow
into the young professional she is today. She is now 11, and will challenge
 anyone in the ring, and do it well.  At age nine she claimed all she
wanted  to do was beat Mr. Bill. At that show she took her first major from the
12 to 18  class.  She prevailed over all the top handlers.

At the National this year she will show a Special in both dogs and
bitches.  Had she been limited to the amateur futurity, or Junior Handlers,
she
would still be there not where she is today.

I have never seen the need for the amateur futurity.  But, I certainly
support Carol and all the work she does.  We should always encourage  showing
in all ways. I just don't want to lower the bar, to encourage less  effort.

But, I am probably wrong.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and  Temperament come  together