[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A lost opportunity

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sally@xxxxxxxxxxx" <sally@xxxxxxxxxxx>, sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, sally@xxxxxxxxxxx, Tigra12@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:58:08 -0500

Sally you have very good points. It is not the first time I have heard of
folks volunteering and then being rejected. this must stop..new talent must
be used at all levels. people do enter in to the club with different levels
of expectation..however..the best way for them to feel a part of something
is to get them involved in a project. I have to say..even if I felt
disenfranchised I don't think I would drop out of the club..because I still
want to support the promotion of the breed. However..everyone is different.
the List..originally I think was comprised mostly of active exhibiting
members...however..where are many of the now? they finally got tired of
non-members..people that have never accomplished much in the breed..getting
a forum to promote their philosophies. Now the List is an equalizer..if you
have a key board.as Lynda states in her post..you have a platform to voice
your opinion...member..or non-member..or back yard breeder..doesn't
matter.."we are all family" so I hear.
.The futurity is another new can of worms..that I didn't address in my
original post. yes..the fact is that even though we have bred a GV and a
GVX,,2 other Selects..and 9 other champions and 2 fut winners.. we are not
qualified to judge a futurity. The futirity requirements are a bit
stringent and don't reflect the changes of today. Clubs don't need to have
matches anymore...so where exactly does one gain experience?this may be an
off the wall suggestion..but since ring experience and procedure seem to be
a concern for some and a sticking point..perhaps some type of program...if
permissible..would allow prospective futurity judges to shadow other judges
doing a futurity...would the AKC allow shadowing at a regular show real
show? whatever it takes for the prospective person to get more procedure
experience...Again..your above is a productive viewpoint...please give us
more ways you would like to see change..pick out the parts of my original
post that you would like to see implemented..if any..and send to the
Board...Christine

<sally@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <Tigra12@xxxxxxx>; <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 8/23/2005 1:48:31 PM
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A lost opportunity
>
> Sally..I understand your frustration..but you are judging the Canadian
> national...you judge our breed..certainly you can't feel disenfranchised?
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
> Christine
> My judging has nothing to do with the club it has to do with my love of
the dogs. Other then a section on the judges application (a long time ago)
where I had to fill out what clubs I belonged to the PC is not been
involved in my judging at all.
> I think if people would honestly reply an awful lot of members are very
frustrated and feel disenfranchised by the PC. For many years each time a
new group of officers and board members were elected we offered our help
and guess what we were never used. It is the same people all the time on
all the committees.
> Just take a look at the futurity judge requirements- Many of the top
people in the breed can not judge a futurity because they do not meet the
requirements. Ridiculous--
> After a few years of this you get to the point where you say OK this is
the way it is I can survive and do it with out them or you just drop out of
the club.
> Quite truthfully the last few years of being on this list is the first
time I felt that we had any say at all in the way the club function because
we now know what is going on.
> I don't think new people to the breed say to themselves - what can I give
the club But more like what will the club do for me to help me on my way.
It is after years in the trenches you finally say I know enough and am good
enough to give back now. So the club must find more ways to help the new
people. and then eventually they will give back to the club