[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A lost opportunity

  • From: "MARGERY GOLANT" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:16:12 -0400

It is a fact that the List has been a significant vehicle in bringing people
into the GSDCA, a way that people can make contact with the fancy, see what
it is about, learn more, and then wade in deeper.  I regularly recognize
many names of people applying for membership in the GSDCA who are already
List members - and it is obvious that they came to the GSDCA by virtue of
their participation on the List.  Perhaps some of them will see this post
and speak up to explain how the List brought them on board the GSDCA, got
them interested, got them involved, allowed them to get to "know"
established breeders, handlers, potential mentors, Board members, etc., so
that they no longer felt like strangers to the conformation scene, and then
wanted to participate more fully, by joining the Club.

There are also a significant number of List members who are GSDCC members,
and a few who are GSD conformation fanciers from Mexico and Australia.   The
common demoninator of the List has always been  the premise that it is
geared to the US / Canadian conformation fancy.  While there are other
members, whose primary interest is AKC/CKC-style performance, or WUSV-style
competition, or otherwise, but who want to learn about and maintain contact
with the conformation world, the overwhelming bulk of List members are GSDCA
members whose venue of choice is the conformation ring, or who breed, judge,
handle or are otherwise connected with conformation.  Do we want to cut out
people who want to learn about conformation, who are considering becoming
involved, who want to learn more first ?  Do we want to cut out the people
in Canada, Mexico, Australia who want to participate, or to maintain contact
with the American conformation scene ?  A GSDCA-only list could not, by
definition, limit itself to conformation - it would need to be open to all
GSDCA members, regardless of their areas of emphasis.  That would make it a
very different sort of place than Showgsd-l is.  Please bear in mind that
when Showgsd-l was first founded, the very reason why it was conceived was
that the performance people had their own areas to discuss performance
(there are obedience lists, agility lists, herding lists, tracking lists,
WUSV lists).  There were / are NO other lists who are specifically dedicated
to GSDCA/GSDCC/AKC/CKC conformation.

I am all for taking steps to add value to being a member of the GSDCA.
There are many ways to do that.  However, this List has taken on a unique
function to the GSD fancy.  Because it is independent of the GSDCA, it is
not under the control of the GSDCA Board, or subject to GSDCA politics.
That provides a level of freedom that would not be present if it were
maintained only by and for GSDCA members, somewhat like the American press.
That independence allows reporters to state their opinions, whether or not
they are consistent with what the politicians want the public to know.  On
the List, over the years, there has been a great deal of expression of ideas
of the established order of things inside the GSDCA, and concerning the
GSDCA.  It has allowed the fancy, through the voices of individual fanciers,
to speak up, to make their views and opinions known to one another.

In this age of instant, electronic communication, it is not practical, or
even possible, to lock out the non-GSDCA members, even if that was
considered to be desirable.  There would inevitably be some members of a
GSDCA-only list who would take the discussions and topics that originated
there to the "rest of the fancy".  The genie is out of the bottle - this is
the electronic age, the communication age.  There is no longer any way to
keep the world out of the business of the GSDCA, and in truth, what is the
point and why is this desirable ?

While Showgsd-l is not a GSDCA-only list, it serves the GSDCA in many ways
by being exactly what it is.  The List Administration has considered over
the years limiting the List membership in various ways, but ultimately
decided that the List made the biggest contribution to the Fancy by being
inclusive, by opening our doors to all who were interested in knowing what
the conformation scene was about.  We still feel that that makes the most
sense, and that the GSDCA and GSDCC ultimately benefit from that approach.
There are many things that can and should be benefits of GSDCA membership
and limited to "members only", but excluding potential new blood from the
List, or creating yet another, GSDCA-only list, will not accomplish that.
It will, instead, close off what has become a very valuable "on-ramp" and
way for new people to connect with the established GSD conformation world.

Margery Golant
Showgsd-l Administrator