[sac-forum] Re: Puzzling Phenomenon

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 16:55:22 -0700

Hi Howard,

I have a pilot's license and used have my own plane, a Mooney Mark 21. I used to see that all the time. What you are seeing is the plane is acting like a lines and the Sun is focused around it. If you are the right distance from the surface the spot will be a bright spot. Closer and it will be a shadow. Further and the spot dissipates. If you ever took a Physical Optics course you might have done an experiment with focusing using a point.

Jeff
Hopkins Phoenix Observatory
Counting Photons
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.hposoft.com/Astro/astro.html
International Epsilon Aurigae Campaign
http://www.hposoft.com/Campaign09.html

On Feb 5, 2010, at 12:09 PM, Howard C. Anderson wrote:

Hi,

I encountered a puzzling phenomenon on a flight from Phoenix to Atlanta
and recorded it on video:  http://www.astroshow.com/Puzzle/Puzzle.html

Bright spot on the ground that moved as the plane moved. Spot, aircraft, and the sun were on the same straight line. Either a diffraction effect caused by aircraft's disturbance of the density of the air, simple specular reflection, or something
else?  Nothing I've thought of satisfies me regarding the cause.

Would appreciate thoughts from anyone who might know the cause
or is willing to speculate.

--

Thanks,

Howard, in Tempe AZ