[sac-forum] Re: Puzzling Phenomenon

  • From: "Howard C. Anderson" <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:57:14 -0700

Hi Robert,

The reference you cited says:

   "You ask why. We do not know. We can predict glories using a
   complicated mathematical model (the Mie theory); we can create
   glories in the laboratory but we do not understand the physics behind
   the phenomenon."

It also mentioned water particles as the possible cause.  The sky might have
contained some water particles but definitely not enough to be seen as clouds.

Now I am even more curious regarding the exact cause...

Thanks,

Howard

Robert Parks wrote:

Happens every time you are in line with the sun & shadow.
We work hard to keep it from happening in our photogrammetry aerial
photos by watching the sun angle during the flight. In a phoenix summer
this means flying very early, to keep the sun angle below 30 degrees.

Some times called a sun dog or glory.
http://www.weatherquesting.com/glory.htm

Thanks,

Robert G. Parks
Vice President
Aerial Mapping Company, Inc.

602-263-5728 voice
602-263-0165 fax
602-432-6627 cell

Subject:
[sac-forum] Puzzling Phenomenon
From:
"Howard C. Anderson" <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 12:09:12 -0700
To:
<sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To:
<sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

I encountered a puzzling phenomenon on a flight from Phoenix to Atlanta
and recorded it on video:  http://www.astroshow.com/Puzzle/Puzzle.html

Bright spot on the ground that moved as the plane moved.   Spot, aircraft,
and the sun were on the same straight line. Either a diffraction effect caused by aircraft's disturbance of the density of the air, simple specular reflection, or something
else?  Nothing I've thought of satisfies me regarding the cause.

Would appreciate thoughts from anyone who might know the cause
or is willing to speculate.

--

Thanks,

Howard, in Tempe AZ