[rollei_list] Re: xenar test roll is back

  • From: Newhouse230@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:45:02 EST

I agree. Even the smallest amount of camera motion will  degrade the
performance of even the finest lenses, and, in my opinion camera  shake is a
far
greater cause of unsharpness than lens issues in most  of our images.
  Any lens test or comparison in the field is best  done with the camera on
a sturdy tripod and a cable release attached. If no  cable release is on
hand, activate the self timer so that your body is not in  contact with the
camera or tripod during the exposure. That 10 seconds is also  important to
let any vibration caused by you focusing, changing settings etc. to  settle
down.
  Though there are some folks with 'steady hands" (I  am, unfortunately not
one of them) it's almost impossible to hold a camera  without some minimal
amount of shakiness. I have known some photographers who  claimed they could
shoot between beats of their own heart; I'm still working on  that one!

    In any case, hand holding a camera is fine  for most purposes, (witness
Carlos' many excellent  hand-held  images) but not so good for judging
comparative performance at various  apertures.
   Charlie Silverman

In a message dated 2/4/2010 9:43:56 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
daxelb@xxxxxxx writes:

Hi,

I suspect that's slower  shutter speed is the true culprit in the softness
of your images.  I have to  say that I've never been able to shoot at less
than 1/100 with any camera  without some evidence of camera shake. I would
retest shooting wide open at  the faster shutter speeds.
Just my two cents,

David  Baumbach