[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Argomania

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:55:16 -0600

At 04:32 PM 1/16/2010, Ricnard K wrote:
But... There is a difference. while the support is the same the perforations are different. 35mm motion picture film comes with two different types of perforations. Negative film is usually perforated with what are called Bell & Howell perforations. These have flat tops and bottoms but round sides, essentially circles with the top and bottom flattened. Positive film like release prints have Kodak Standard perforations. These are the familiar oblong perfs with rounded corners. B&H perfs supposedly register more accurately but the KS perfs take the stress of projection better. For some reason film for 35mm still cameras always has KS perfs regardless of whether its negative or positive. Both perfs will run on the same sprockets so surplus motion picture film can be used in still cameras with no difference. A historical note: For a very long time motion picture release prints were made by contact printing. The printers mostly ran the two films in contact around the periphery of a large sprocket wheel with the negative film inside. When the film was processed it shrunk so the pitch of the perforations was slightly shorter than it was originally. The diameter of the printing wheel was chosen so that the slightly larger diameter the raw print stock followed just made up for the longer perforation pitch. When nitrate film was replaced by other stock it was found that the newer stock did not shrink, or at least did not shrink as much as the nitrate, so film began to be made in two perforation pitches, one for negatives and another, longer pitch, for positive film. This made the two films register better on the printer. However, the shorter pitch negative film tended to be noisy in the camera until cameras were equipped with adjustable movements to account for the variation. I think most release printing is done on optical printers now where the film is not in physical contact.

Makes a lot of sense.  Someone with the facts- Thanks for the explanations.

There used to be a company, Seattle Film Works I believe, that made a business of spooling and processing movie stock ends for still camera use. I suppose they are gone, but in any case I never got very good results from them.

DAW