[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Argomania

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:48:08 -0500

> When I was a kid, I had (still have) a Kodak "Brownie" Holiday Flash
> camera, which uses size 127 film.  At the time, this was the most
> popular film format,
>
> But from a practical standpoint, the thing people could mess up was
> the film loading.  Hence Kodak put a pre-loaded roll of film into a
> cassette and 126 was born in 1963.
>
> What size was the film inside the cassette?  Was it anything like 828?
>  A similar size with the same kind of notching to determine correct
> film advance?
>
> 126 was a great success.  The public loved it.  I got a 126 camera
> under the Christmas tree.
>
> Unfortunately, Kodak didn't bother with a mechanism to keep the film
> flat in the cassette.  This prevented the format from being used for
> more than just snapshots.
>
> Kodak's introduction of 110 film in the early 1970s was, in
> retrospect, short-sighted.  t allowed a smaller camera and saved Kodak
> a lot of money on film manufacture, but the film was just too darned
> small to yield a sharp picture.
>
> If there was anything that established 35mm as a major consumer
> format, it was the Canon AE-1, AE-1 Program and their ilk.

127 Negative Size : 4x4 cm
126 Cartridge  28x28mm
Its  a downhill journey. You pay less money for more silver.
And people wear cheaper fabrics and not a decent hat.
Your snapshots go to hell.

With the film sizes and the clothes people wore in the 20's - late 40's it
was darned hard to make a bad snapshot as I see it.
People just looked too good.
And you had all that real estate.
Also a big factor was the reason they ran your film not in modern MQ or PQ
developer formulas but  in poisonous Pyrocatechol receipts.

Mark William Rabiner