[rollei_list] Re: (mOT) - Printing square from bureau - and metric issues

  • From: chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:30:51 +0000

Digressing just a little bit I just just got some 20x20cm prints done (from
my own scans) from a 'pro' shop of my guitar
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chatanooga/156779558/ and an interesting
problem (possibly to do with dpi) has come up: the guitar rosette which is a
series of very fine concentric circles shows noticeable 'jaggies'/ bumpy
circle in a few places in the print. I have printed the image once or twice
before on frontiers, etc and to the naked eye they have been perfectly
smooth. Which is what I'd expect as this is how they show up in the 100%
view in photoshop, etc. Maybe the lab did some wacky scaling - I am very
curious ot find out! In fairness to them at least the black and white
appeared to be pretty neutral - it shows the noritsu print to have been
quite purple.
And digressing further a little bit of trawling brought up this gem of an
exchange between 2 famous french photographers:
.....*When I first came to Paris, I had the nerve to show him some of my
Rolleiflex photos. He exclaimed that if God had wanted us to photograph with
a 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 camera, he would have put eyes on our bellies. So I bought
a Leica *...............

On 1/21/07, ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I have had some large (30 x 30) lightjet prints made from Rollei
> >> negative that I have scanned myself, and when I look at them with
> >> a loupe, I don't see pixels.   They are just like optical prints,
> >> in my experience, not inkjets.

On closer inspection of my 5" sq. (12.7cm) prints with a standard 8X
loupe, I can see pixels. They are fine, and finding them requires
keying in to the pattern - ignoring the illusion of the image - but,
for what it's worth, they are there.

E.