[rollei_list] Re: (mOT) - Printing square from bureau - and metric issues

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:53:15 -0300 (ART)

Kodak Premium roll photographic paper uses the
Imperial sizes with exact conversion into metric,
perhaps the labs round the sizes; for example:

24" x 100' (60.9cm x 30.5m)  1439942
 36" x 100' (91.4cm x 30.5m)  8542003
 42" x 100' (106.7cm x 30.5m)  8599185
 50" x 100' (127cm x 30.5m)  1638436
 60" x 100' (152.4cm x 30.5m)  8833782
 Short Roll
 36" x 16.4' (91.4cm x 5m)

Ilford uses the metric system, for example:

1129296
XILD.1K 10.2cmx150m 1 C76O
1129306
XILD.1K 12.7cmx150m 1 C76O
1129315
XILD.1K 21cmx75m 1C76O
1129324
XILD.1K 25.4cmx75m 1 C76O
1129333
XILD.1K 30.5cmx50m 1 C76O
1129342
XILD.1K 50.8cmx50m 1C76O
1129351
XILD.1K 76.2cmx30.5m 1C76I
1129360
XILD.1K 81.3cmx30.5m 1C76I
1129966
XILD.1K 86.4cmx30.5m 1C76I
1129379
XILD.1K 101.6cmx30.5m 1C76I
1129388
XILD.1K 105cmx30.5m 1 C76I
1129397
XILD.1K 127cmx30.5m 1 C76I

I have color prints from my lab 15x15cm(rounded),
18x18cm (rounded)21x21cm (rounded) and 50x50cm
(rounded), the prints don't cover 100% of the negative
image area, but it happens for the 35mm negs too.

All the best
Carlos

--- chatanooga@xxxxxxxxx escribió:

> Folks
> I have a few square (of course!) prints I'd like to
> get from a Frontier/
> Noritsu type shop (ie no frills but pretty good
> quality). I'm based in
> Holland for a few months and there seems to be a
> small selection of square
> print sizes available in the region of 20-25cm? Or
> is it the case that this
> aspect ration is printed on the next 3:2 size up and
> then guillotined? Of
> course I can ask but in the nature of these bureaus
> this knowledge mightnt
> always be available. Another thing that I'm curious
> about is whether the
> paper sizes used are actually imperial and the
> quoted cm figure is a round
> up? This might be relevant to avoid excessive
> re-scaling by the printshop,
> etc.
> regards
> Chat