[rollei_list] Re: Wanted to Buy Macintosh SE/30

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:55:45 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Javier Perez" <summarex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 16, 2006 8:28 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Wanted to Buy Macintosh SE/30

Did you know that Apple had to license the Mac's name from McIntosh labs?
Some of the computers even say so on the back. I love audio macs!
Javier

Frank McIntosh's secret was a patented method of winding the transformers to achieve close coupling (necessary for Class B amplifiers) without high interwinding reactances (cause distortion). He came up with the idea of bifilar winding, that is, both windings were made at the same time with the wires next to each other. I don't have the patent number. The split load idea was not new, you will find it in some older engineering books. It was used in the British made Quad amplifier before the McIntosh. His other secret was very high quality construction using the best components available.
When I was in college I sold Hi-Fi part time. I was able to compare McIntosh directly to other amplifiers and it blew them away; I was astonished at how much cleaner they sounded than some other, very highly reputed, amplifiers. I also had a chance to compare one to a Marantz 8-B on the bench. The 8-B has inadequate power supply capacity and goes banannas when overloaded, all sorts of junk shows up. The Mac just produced clean square waves.
Transformer coupling is a practical necessity for vacuum tube audio amplifiers, however its not for solid state circuits. Macintosh continued to use transformer coupling in their solid state amplifers because the transformers were their claim to fame. There was probably an advantage to being able to use matched components for the output but transformerless amplifers have many advantages and better quality unless the transformer is of unusual quality.
My hearing is no longer good enough to allow me to pronounce on audio components but when it was I was not a vacuum tube advocate: I lived with vacuum tube stuff for too long to be enamored of its aging problems.
BTW, I am in the last stages of restoring two vacuum tube short wave receivers of the sort known as boat anchors.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx