[rollei_list] Re: Wanted to Buy Macintosh SE/30

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:28:05 +0100

not my experience.
In the 80s when the pc appeared it was pitifully slow and had the first really bad commercial operating system. I did not work properly. Good marketing persuaded naive new to computers customers that that was normal. Compared to the (cheaper) computer I was using at the time it was about 50x slower and crashed all the time.
The mac was much more expensive initially, but massively more powerful - necessary for the very much more powerful operating system - which made it easy for non techies to use.
The relative merits and prices have ebbed and flowed in the meantime and I have continued to (have to) use both. PCs have normally been cheaper and worse made, for gaming they are a no brainer as the video is faster. From a software point of view the Apple OS has always been superior to any of the concurrent Microsoft OSs, usually very considerably. From a hardware point of view Apple, to an extent, shot themselves in the foot by not letting others make compatible hardware. It will always be a matter of opinion but most of the time the Apple hardware has been better styled and made but pcs from super cheap sources were great for students (and cheapskates).
My current laptops are Hewlett a Packard PC and oldish G4 Mac 17". They cost about the same, the HP is potentially a touch faster but the software rarely works smoothly, particularly on the company network - the IT department don't know why (XP Pro) and have not been able to fix it...... The Mac is much better made, the OS (10.4.7) is very much superior.
If cheap is your main arbiter I am surprised you are on the Rollei list ;-)
Frank

On 17 Sep, 2006, at 16:26, Marvin Wallace wrote:

I too was a Macintosh user, and then I bought a P.C and found that there is
little difference between the two, the exception being Macs are stupidly
overpriced. P.C's are cheaper faster and have a whole lot more accessories
at a third of the price.

--- Rollei List

--- Rollei List