[rollei_list] Re: The new Fuji will be sold as.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:41:21 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Lehrer" <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 4:56 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: The new Fuji will be sold as.

Eric,

Wow! The mythical 80mmWF Ektar!! I have heard of, but never have seen that baby.

When I wanted a wide angle lens for a sheet film camera, I got a 90mm Angulon for my 4x5. People tell me about a 65mm Schneider lens for the Baby Speed Graphic. 80 mm would not have cut it for a 6x9 camera; at least not for me. 38mm is just dandy for a
6x6  camera, isn't it?  I love it.

Jerry

The WF Ektar is a four element double gauss lens. A number of other manufacturers have made semi-wide-angle lenses based on this design. One of its virtues is very good color correction which I think was important to Kodak at the time. These are called "wide field" lenses because they are limited to less than about 90 degrees, most wide angle lenses will cover a larger angle. The Super Angulon is probaby a superior lens, at least it has wider coverage and has a bit less fall off. The orignal Angulon is a variation of the Dagor. The quality varies a lot for the type and the original design, as shown in the patent, was awful. It was certainly redesigned at some early point. I have a pilot run Angulon which has such bad color fringing as to be unusable. The main advantage of early WA lenses, like the Angulon and WA Dagor and the WF Ektar is small size and weight. Roosinov type lenses like the Super-Angulon have oversize outer elements and are quite large and heavy for their focal length and speed.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA