[rollei_list] Re: Serial No's

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:27:26 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter J Nebergall" <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 6:36 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Serial No's

No, these were not the big SLR. They were groundglass-focusers, same as
in some of the 1930s textx I studied. My teacher, Lester Wilson, an
associate of Joe Rosenthal, insisted I learn the old ways...

Peter nebergall

If you are refering to the "Big Bertha" there is really no question that they were as I described them and a few such cameras have survived. There were probably other rigs for telephoto photography. A press camera, using ground glass focusing, is possible if focused in advance to anticipate the action. I think the Big Bertha was used this way, and sports photographers with much more modern equipment still work by anticipating action. Please see any edition of _Graphic Graflex Photography_ for pictures and a description of the Big Bertha camera.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx