[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8GX Japan Edition

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 22:30:40 -0500

At 10:12 PM 3/9/2012, Kirk Thompson wrote:
I'd be ashamed to walk around with a camera as tastelessly gaudy as that.

I suppose was made to garner cash from collectors who want to have 'one of each.'

Kirk

Trust me, such do exist, but not in large numbers. Few collectors have a lot of interest in commemorative models of any sort, so these often do not make their sales goals. Leica and Rolleiflex both fall victim to the mindset that 'if we make it, they will buy', while, in most cases, few collectors are interested in such exotica. Zeiss Ikon learned that sad truth as early as 1952 with their 'Jubilum' Contax IIa -- they were so embarrassed that we no longer know what the jubilee was. (I own one of these but paid no premium for it, as Bob Pins missed the marking.)

Now, a lot more common are the collectors who have to have every production variation of a given model. There are seven models of the Contax I and two versions of the Cyclops Contarex. I must not be a collector, as I only have one of each, and take pictures with them! A true collector can spot minutia such as a change in the knurling of a ring under the shutter release or the abbreviations used on the engraving -- this is sort of thing which keeps Leica IIIc collectors up at night with glee and joy. The 2.8GX is another one with a number of variations in its production as parts such as the Compur shutter became unavailable and had to be replaced with substitutes.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!