[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8GX Japan Edition

  • From: John Wild <JWild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:39:23 +0000

Thank you all for your help with information on this "Japan" special
edition.

Carlos, I think that it was the "Royal Urishi" that they intended to build
200 a year fort five years. The serial numbers on those seem to have the
year number preceding the production number...

10XXX first year
20XXX second year etc

Possibly the Japan was so popular that Rollei decided produce more of the
same but, in doing so, would have to change the camera name.

They also produced the Royal and the Royal Star which had gold flecks in the
finish which is not mentioned in Prochnow, so whether the numbers were
within the Royal batch numbers or not I have no idea. I saw the Classic and
2.8GX Royal Stars at Focus on Imaging show a number of years ago; they were
impressive finishes and certainly not for using.

Here is the 35 Classic version of the finish...

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Rollei/Rollei-35-Classic-Royal-'Star'.html

The limited editions did have a market all the time that the market was not
swamped. As Marc says, some people must have every variant but there are not
so many of those who have the funds to buy every Leica or Rolleiflex Limited
edition variant.

Now DHW are producing bespoke Rolleiflexes and Rollei 35's at about £10k and
£5k respectively; you name the finish and you can have it. Their market is
the Far East. The number of variant with user specified serial numbers in
almost infinite.

John