[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8GX Japan Edition

  • From: Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei List <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 19:58:10 -0800

Thank you, Marc!  Though I seem to have too many Rolleis now, I know nothing
about collecting and didn't know where collectors focus their attention.
I thought the gaudy models were in demand, but only on the basis of one
example:  A colleague who kept Leicas in his study in glass cases showed me his
military models and especially his Luxus, which he had liberated (or is the
right word 'stolen'?) while serving in WWII.  He seemed to think the Luxus was
his prize.
An old story about collecting:  Does anyone remember Don Chatterton, one of the
first to export used German cameras from US to Asia, for collectors?  He used
to write for Shutterbug and lived not far from me.  In about 1980 I wanted a
view camera and offered him a RolleiWide and a Leica Model A to finance it.
I'd bought them in Switzerland and had them factory-CLA'd.  I believe he gave
me $900 for each (or would it have been both?).  He then wrote an article for
Shutterbug about the Model A, which in the '30s had been factory-upgraded with
a rangefinder, but with the original serial number re-engraved on the new top
plate.  In the article he claimed that there were already too many old Leica
A's out there, and the next level of collecting should be those with factory
mods.
I don't think this idea went over very well in the collecting world?
Kirk