[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex 2.8GX Japan Edition

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:12:03 -0300

 Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx> escribió:
> I really, really, really hate to pick nits (really!), but it's "Ur*U*shi
> lacquer, not Ur*I*shi.
>
> "Urishi" is an Armenian given (i.e. first) name, "Urushi" is lacquer
> extracted from the Urushi tree (Toxicodendron vernicifluum, formerly Rhus
> vernicifera), and found in Japan, Korea and China. It's been used for at
> least 6000 years in Japan for everything from a glue to a very high quality
> (also high gloss, and very durable) finish.
>
> While I agree that the Urushi coatings as marketed by Rollei appear tacky and
> gaudy, Urushi is actually a pretty good candidate as an extremely durable
> coating. It protects against mold, mildew and moisture (i.e. waterproof) and
> is acid and alkaline resistant (from photographers hands, f.x.). It also
> provides a very hard coating. About the only thing that wears it out/breaks
> it down is UV radiation. I.e. sunlight. So maybe not so great on a camera
> after all...
>
> As an interesting aside, fresh Urushi sap is toxic, and contains the same
> irritant that is found in poison ivy, posion oak and poison sumac.

I had not realized John was trying to say the word is "Urishi" and not
"Urushi" in the first part of his last message up to your post above,
I did not notice the change u-i; I agree with you, the word is
"Urushi" and Rollei also uses the word "Urushi". Some monks in Japan
used the Urushi resin in the diet to preserve their bodies after the
death, it's pretty allergen indeed but some people  have a natural
immunity and are able to work with the fresh lacquer. The active
component is "Urushiol" and it can cause a skin allergic reaction, the
Metol could cause similar reactions too and they have a link.