[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Breakers yard

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 22:14:36 -0700

   Microdol was a re-used Kodak trade mark. The first was Microdol and then Microdol-X. I think the X or later version had an anti-silvering agent in it to suppress dichroic fog. Ilford Perceptol is, as far as I can tell, identical to Microdol-X, which I believe was discontinued some time ago. One of the main fine grain agents in both is sodium chloride, i.e. table salt.
    Both have a fine grain property when used full strength but loose it when diluted. There is a loss of about 3/4 stop of speed when used full strength. Both become high acutance developers when diluted one part stock to two parts water. There is no speed loss when diluted.
    Films like 100T-Max have very nearly the same fineness of grain as Technical Pan when developed in Perceptol full strength but at a speed of around ISO-50 and without the contrast control problem.
    Varigam was a variable contrast paper made by Defender and later DuPont/Defender. I think it either the first V.C. paper or at least the first on the U.S. Market. The original Varigam had a different emulsion arrangement than later variable contrast papers so needed a different set of filters. I think the original Varigam may have come with just two filters, High and Low contrast, so that mid grades were printed by successive exposures of the required times.
   When used without filters the contrast of variable contrast papers is about "normal" or grade-2 but it depends on the spectral quality of the light source.
   If you bought graded paper it was not Varigam. Varigam was a very great convenience if you had to print negatives from various sources.
    Virtually every manufacturer of film or paper had a formulary of their pet formulas to which one must add formulas published by the chemical suppliers.
    Probably the most reliable formulas were those published by Kodak but there were many interesting ones published by Ansco and its predecessor AGFA. AGFA, a chemical company, produced vast amounts of potassium salts as by products of other things and tended to use the rather than sodium salts in their photographic formulae. Some users think there is a difference in the look of prints developed in developers containing potassium but I have yet to see a convincing demonstration. Metol, the frequently specified developing agent, was actually an AGFA trade-name, Kodak sold the same stuff as Elon. Defender (later Dupont-Defender) had some unique formulas. I used to use Defender paper developer, probably because it was marginally cheaper than Kodak Dektol.
    For years I collected photographic literature. Much of  it is in storage now but I still have a good selection of material on compounding developers.
    Despite the range of formulas I would still work with packaged stuff from Kodak or Ilford.
    You need perhaps a dozen chemicals to compound a wide variety of black and white processing formulas. Some are expensive and somewhat difficult to obtain now but you can still get Pyro and Amidol. I used Amidol paper developer at one time, long ago, because it supposedly gave very deep blacks. Amidol is good developer but has no tray life and must be mixed fresh each time its used. It also produces extremely persistent stains if it dries on anything. Pyro developers were the standard until about the mid 1930s when they were displaced by Metol-Hydroquinon developers for both film and paper. Pyro also has a short shelf and tank life but some formulas were devised, mainly for motion picture negative development, with less vulnerability to oxidation. Also, pyro can produce a stain image that increases effective density when used for printing on blue sensitive material. In fact, there are many non-staining pyro formulas devised for motion picture processing where it was not desired. The "standard" three part A-B-C Pyro formula was published in identical form by at least Kodak, AGFA/Ansco, Defender, and others. The three parts are formulated to extend the storage life but tray or tank life is still very short (hours).
    I always found mixing my own to be interesting and I like to experiment but for serious work give me the packaged formulas every time.

On 9/12/2017 8:36 PM, Don Williams wrote:

At 05:54 PM 9/12/2017, Dick K. wrote, in part:
If the contrast is reduced by reducing development, the exposure index will decrease by about a stop for a one paper grade decrease in contrast. In fact, the ISO standard includes a chart showing approximate correction for speed vs contrast.

Reminded me of a couple of things.

I remember, I think, Microdol . . . a fine grain developer.  I sort of think it did result in slightly lower effective film speed but finer grain.  In that line, I think you could buy various developer components to make custom mixes.

I also remember Varigam(?) print paper.  I looked that up just now and there are many similar papers, still for sale.  So many brands and such a price range.  I had am Omega B-22 but don't remember ever buying Varigam filters - I just bought various paper "grades".

DAW~

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx