[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Breakers yard

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 13:14:00 -0500

At 10:26 AM 9/13/2017, you wrote:

Hey stay cool. I'am 55 ;-)

Hello from the top side of 85. I seem to still be lucid but sold my last Rollei (and Rolleimarin) to a professional diver a few years back. Still have a few filters, hoods, and original Rolleiflash left as well as a couple of projectors, including a Balomatic. And, as usual with most folks out there, I am overloaded with 35mm stuff which should be sold to folks who will actually use it. (When we moved from La Jolla to Oklahoma in 2007, I purposely left my beloved Omega B-22 in the house.)

My first Rollei was a 2.8C, bought in Hong Kong during my first navy tour. I had bypassed the Nikons and Cannons (~$135 in the Yokosuka Navy sales building). In Hong Kong I got the camera and every accessory for something around $300. No case, not available. I later had to change to a 3.5F to fit the Rolleimarin IV.

After the Navy and a job in North Hollywood, I moved to San Diego and was able to build a darkroom in the garage. Before then I had always worked in a bedroom, using whatever I could to block the light around window shades. No ventilation, just lots of fumes, including mercury vapor. (Old timers will understand what I was trying to do with mercury.)

Anyhow, I'm still wading through around 5-6,000 negatives, slides, prints, whatever, in several formats, and doing just digital. I'm finding things from around 1940, fun. I try to scan and put things up on OneDrive for my kids but they only react to a limited portion of what I think is "important".

Works for me and I get my Rollei fix from this group.

DAW~