[rollei_list] Re: Plus X -PX 125- and Microdol X discontinued Alan

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 19:49:47 -0500

> On Feb 18, 2010, at 13:43, Marvin wrote:
>

> Zone system photographers understand the limitations of the system, the idea
>

> is generally to translate as much of the textural scene viewed in the
>

> camera, to information(range of greys) in the print.
>

> Actually the point is that you can be creative in how a print is rendered
> whether it is showing more information or less.
> Dennis

I think its deeply fulfilling to have a good grasp of what your textural
range is so  you know when you point your camera at something which areas
are going to have detail which are probably printable in the  shot and which
areas are not. Thresholds.
Thresholds of detail or texture. Sometimes roman numerals help some seem to
feel like they need to live without them.
Not sure if they is going to be perceived as going against what Dennis and
Marvin are saying here  or not. I think its possible we're all basically
agreeing. But semantics vary.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

I like to be able to count to four (steps) from my shadow textural threshold
to my highlight textural threshold. Which for me is  from III to VII.
If its more than four I worry.
And yes this is more Arnolds zone system than Ansel's.