[rollei_list] Re: Plus X -PX 125- and Microdol X discontinued Alan

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:02:27 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:44 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Plus X -PX 125- and Microdol X discontinued Alan

If I'm understanding you, your quibble is with the phrase "working ISO" and that changing the working speed of a film is not changing the ISO definition of the film speed? If so, I sure did not get that from your original post. You just detailed in numerous posts the importance of (what I consider to be trivial) changes derived from choice of developer... surely you recognize the usefulness of pushing and
pulling to control contrast and help make images printable.

I will agree that charts like the Massive Development and others do not make clear that changing the working speed of the film will effect contrast and texture, but I don't think that is their purpose...

Eric Goldstein

I think the term Exposure Index, which I think is Kodak speak is useful. It is the value one plugs into an exposure meter. Where development is not as prescribed by the ISO standard the EI can be different. Saying ISO or ISO speed means specifically the speed as determined using the method described in the ISO standard. Many practical situations require a different developer than was used in obtaining the ISO speed or require different contrast index, etc, which will affect the EI. The only time the ISO speed applies is when the conditions of use are as assumed by the standard.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA