[rollei_list] Re: OT: Terrabyte hard drive.

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:38:35 -0500

At 03:59 PM 10/17/2008, Richard wrote, in part:
This all seems to have happened in another life.

Same here.  What stories we could all tell.

I remember having to rent a spare PDP-11 [switches and paper tape of course] as a backup, every time we did a demo on our police car tracking system, a contract from DOT. Reliability was indeed an issue in those days. (Cubic San Diego)

When I got out of the navy in 1956, my first job was at Bendix Pacific in North Hollywood and we were honored to have an IBM 650 with a drum memory. I think the ram was hydraulic, but don't remember for sure. The computer lived in a room by itself. I doubt that the company ever generated a useful program for that computer. As for me, I was in telemetry and had a ball, learning about transistors from the very beginning.

When I owned my own systems house, I actually made a market in 64K chips, which were in short supply for a while.

Back to Terrabyte hard drives, I bought a 1 Tb Intel "My Book" last winter which sits on a Firewire on this computer and serves as a backup for our 3 computers over our wireless network. I forgot the price but it was less than $200. (It's drive "M" on this computer, which is quite full with ESDI, SCSI, and SATA interface drives in it. Runs windows and Unix.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

DAW