[rollei_list] Re: OT: Terrabyte hard drive.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 07:14:41 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Lilley" <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 2:53 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Terrabyte hard drive.

I seem to recall that my K&E Log Log Duplex Trig didn't have any ram or hard drive. You had to move a wood bar and a bit of glass in consort with scales
to get a very simple answer denoted as a number.

Rob

One can consider the sliding scale and fiduciary to be memory especially where one is transferring a partial result to another scale. A slide rule is an interesting example of an analogue computer. The main slide really sets up a programmed function (according to the scales used) which gives a continuum of values. The fiduciary is used to select a particular value. I was taught to use one very early (I think I was about forteen), using a Fredric Post wood rule (I've drawn a blank on the name of this type), I still have it. I have in front of me a Pickett & Eckel log-log dual base slide rule with its leather scabbard. Its made of metal with a yellow finish (easy on the eyes I guess). I now have to use reading glasses to use it comfortably. Those of us trained in the use of the slide rule had to learn to make mental approximations to solutions in order to get the order of magnitude and to avoid reciprocal results in some cases. That has proved quite valuable. I still use my slide rule occasionally.

Los Angeles, CA, USA