[rollei_list] Re: OT: My Computer Knows my DSLR!

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 17:51:46 -0400

Hi Doug,

But if it runs out, nothing happens...as long as it's not in the middle of
writing to the flash/disk.  If you are only reading the files, there should be
no detriment from a power failure.

Regards,

Austin
  From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  Sent 7/14/2010 3:23:53 PM
  To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  At 09:09 AM 7/14/2010, Doug wrote:

    Marc,
    You are lucky it doesn't work camera to computer.  If it did, it could lead
to trouble.
    As noted before, take the flash card out of the camera and transfer the
data to the computer via a card reader.

    Don't try and figure out why it doesn't work, just accept that you computer
has good judgment in refusing the connection.
    Good judgment is hard to come by.

    I never, ever connect the camera to the computer.

    Best--Doug

  Interesting.   I generally just plug the USB cable from the computer to the
camera and the camera then reports, on the back screen "PC Connected".  I then
download the new pictures I want to send right away.

  Only been doing this with 3 different digital cameras for about 5 years and
have never had a problem.

  One thing I do, however, and this was in a note to Marc- I always use the
little "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the lower taskbar and turn the camera
off before disconnecting the cable.

  My cameras all look like external disk drives to the computer, which is
running, at the moment, Windows XP Pro.

  It's all a matter of taste and I like the speed and convenience of my method.
 On the other hand, when I visit my kids in San Diego, one of my daughters
always grabs whatever camera I happen to have brought along, pulls out the
card(s) [one camera has two different types of cards in it, the Olympus EVolt
500 series] and copies everything to her computer.  (I do ask her to set the
card to "write protect" when she does this.  If you then put the card back into
the camera with that still set, the camera reminds you.)

  There is one warning I would give in any case- Never try to use the computer
to delete a photo from the card, whether the card is in the camera, or in the
computer slot or card adapter.  The camera needs to handle image deletions to
keep track of what happened to the image.  You will probably find that specific
warning in all digital camera manuals, but it's easily overlooked.

  DAW