[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica vs. Zeiss

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:53:02 -0500

Marc,

This is what I thought. So we should compare a current Summicron to the curretn Zeiss ZM Planar perhaps (tie?) and the Apo-Summilux to the new 1.5/50 Sonnar (Summilux wins, I suppose).

I might take you up on stopping by at your house next time I am in the D.C. area (X-mas?). Aren't you down there somewhere (Virginia?).

Really ought to see that PLOOT reflex housing ;-)
...and maybe you even have an original Contax OIympia Sonnar engraved by Leni Riefenstahl....

Jan

From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Jan
Come over to my house and I can let you do a
shoot-off between Postwar CZJ and CZ 2/50 Sonnars
and both a collapsible 2/5cm Leitz Summicron and
a 2/5cm NF (DR) Summicron.  The Summicron is a
remarkable lens but so is the Sonnar and there
really isn't much difference between their performances.

A more remarkable lens is the 1.5/5cm CZJ Sonnar
of 1933.  Leitz was unable to MATCH the
performance of that lens until they produced the
second version of the 1.4/50 Summilux in
1961.  They probably finally exceeded it with the
new 1.4/50 APO-Summilux but I have yet to buy one of these.