[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica vs. Zeiss

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:40:17 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:54 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica vs. Zeiss

Actually Apo is a typo in the case of this lens as such an item does not exist. The latest 50mm f1.4 is Aspherical not apo. It is by a long way the best f1.4 lens I have used wide open, and I have used a few. The new-Zeiss 50 f1.5 sonnar is reported to be a retro lens and is soft and suitable for portraits wide open, though I have not used one personally. Only 2 Leica M lenses are marked Apo, the latest 90mm f2 and 135mm f3.4. I would be prepared to bet five bob that they really are apo... The Leica lenses I have, which is quite a few, may not all be apo, whether marked thus or not, but they show noticeably less chromatic fringing than most of the fast lenses I have from Nikon or Canon. FWIW.
Frank
Well, aspherical is something else again. Actually, of course a lens can be both. Aspherical surfaces have been known for a very long time but its been only recently that they could be more or less mass produced to make the costs reasonable. In the past aspherical surfaces had to be hand figured. Its possible to duplicate an asphere with spherical surfaces, in fact that is how lenses are made, however, a single aspherical surface can take the place of several combined spherical surfaces for the same amount of correction. The Zeiss Index shows several experimental lenses with aspherical surfaces dating back to the 'teens. The Zeiss index was a compilation of notes on lenses generated internally by Zeiss, I think mainly Willie Merte. It is interesting because it shows lenses never offered commercially and internal analysis of competitor's lenses. I have it as part of the lens survey program LensView. If Leitz publishes chromatic aberration plots of the lenses it will be easy enough to tell what sort of correction they have. An achromat will have a parabolic curve going through the center line twice, an apochromat will have an S shaped curve going through the center line three times. Rodenstock has plots for several of their lenses, the ones called APO are clearly achromats.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA