[rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica vs. Zeiss

  • From: "A. Lal" <alal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:44:14 -0500

P.S:- Vignetting on the 21 is observable on film and could be better, that is its major weakness. ----- Original Message ----- From: "A. Lal" <alal@xxxxxxxx>

To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, 21 November, 2009 3:41 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Leica vs. Zeiss

This is interesting, as my own experiences have been quite different.

Back in the '80s I owned the 21 Elmarit. I already had the 21 SA and the 19 Elmarit for the R. I was expecting it to be noticeably better than both. It was not so eventually it was sold. More recently, I got the 21 Biogon for the M and could not be more pleased with its performance.

----- Original Message ----- From: "J M N" <retinaiiic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:00:31 -0500
From: mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> The Zeiss ZM 21mm f/2.8 Biogon T* is about as subtle as a tin whistle.
> Very disappointing compared to a 21mm 2.8 Elmarit.
> I've used them both.
>
> John

Your opinion varies diametrically from the target test audience the 21mm 2.8
Elmarit is the single most critized Leica lens ever made and was rejected
off hand by most shooters who simply continued to use the JSK 21mm 3.4
Schneider Super Angulon instead until the Leica ASPH version came out
recently.
The LEICA ELMARIT-M 21 mm f/2.8 ASPH which used modern methods to cut the
ASHP element without doubling the price of the lens.
It successfully priced the wide spread use classic of the JSK optic and
permitted metering through the lens.
It's widely used. I use it. Though I'm glad I'm not buying it now.
I got mine at the end of 2001 and its doubled in price now costing 4 grand.
I shoot interiors with it using it like non retrofocal lens.

The ZM 21mm f/2.8 Biogon is supposed to be a non retrofocal lens or darned
close to it if that's possible and at half the size and weight of the
ELMARIT ASPH making it one of the few ZM's I can see myself wanting to use like when I'm out when my camera all day. It gets raves from everybody; die
hard Leica people.
The LEICA ELMARIT-M 21 mm f/2.8 ASPH I'd not want hanging off my arm all
day.

The best Cosina glass for Leica and others is the slow glass it makes and
Leica does not compete with this its marketing people seem to determine the
parameters of its next lens. F 1.4 or faster and be there for 7 grand.
Cosina realize the advantages. incredibly compact glass and light weight
with performance vying with fast high end glass. You just don't get that
fast f stop. This to me is what rangefinder photography is all about. Your
not looking through the lens it does not have to be bright.

Mark William Rabiner

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/