[rollei_list] Re: OT: Going over to the Dark Side

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:56:12 -0500

At 03:54 PM 7/12/2010, Laurence Cuffe wrote, in part:
Marc, I'm glad to see you have the card reader problem solved, and I sympathize with you sense of being intimidated by all the menu's and options open to you. This is a problem in teaching computers, a good many of us of a certain technical bent really wont trust a machine until our knowledge of it is as complete as possible.

That also explains why our kids take all the new gadgets (cell phones, cameras, ipods, whatever) out of the box and start using them immediately, and generally, very effectively. Their interest is in using it, not immediately mastering it.

We, on the other hand, seem to think that we have to know everything all at once before we use something.

As for me, I keep the most simple cell phone available because it allows me to talk to someone. Over time I learned that it makes voice recordings, plays music I transfer to it, and takes pictures and movies. I actually do use those things now, including the alarm to wake me in the morning, but all those are secondary issues that I gradually learned over time.

The same holds, as Laurence says, with digital cameras. Just start with automatic shooting and try the other features from time to time. Even now that I know about how to use all the special features of my digital cameras, I rarely use anything more than the auto and close-up modes.

DAW