[rollei_list] Re: OT: Going over to the Dark Side

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:26:52 -0400

At 10:06 AM 7/12/2010, Jan Decher wrote:

>It's not as complicated as you think. You don't need all the
>functions at all times but you have huge options when you get more
>advanced.  Treat yourself to a user-friendly computer (Macbook, iMac
>etc.) upload the Rebel T1i software and you are in business.
>
>I am sure someone in your communty teaches an "Introduction to
>digital photography"  class. Its a worthwhile investment to get into
>"thinking digitally"
>
>And there are lots of "hybrid possibilities" with all the classic
>gear you have amassed.  For example, I am using a copact Leitz Elmar
>135mm lens head with LEIHEK adapter on my Novoflex BAL-S bellows on
>the T1i body (use AV mode). If I ever find a reasonably prized
>Rollei SL66 5.6/500 mm Tele-Tessar I can use it on the T1i with my
>Novoflex BALROL bellows turning it into a precision focus 800mm lens.
>
>Treat yourself to a user-friendly computer (Macbook, iMac etc.),
>upload the Rebel T1i software and you are in business.
>Have fun in the digital realm.

I will get a Mac only after Senile Dementia sets in. I do not need pablum-for-the-masses as Apple provides. And Senile Dementia does not run in my family, so I will stick with the proven capacity of a PC, and thanks for asking!

I should have an M42 adapter inhand in a day or three. That will permit me access to all of my Soviet/Post Soviet and Kilfitt lenses, including that superb 4/50-125 zoom. I now have to pick up a T adapter so I can use my Leica APO-Televid. I will play around with macro lenses on a Bellows II -- I can rig that to M42 without much hassle.

The flash is still an issue but I think I will use my Vivitar 283 for the nonce -- my 1900 just died, after years of magnificent service. When I can dry-gulch a farmer coming home from market, I will use the ill-gotten gains to buy the small Speedlite EX. I will need a hot-shoe-to-PC adapter (I have a dozen, but cannot find a one!) to allow use of my Metz 45CL4 non-digital.

Camera store clerks use to laugh about "Ha$$elblad". Well, "digital=BIG BUCKS" seems equally true!

I cannot possibly figure out Photoshop but Irfanview and I are very old friends of long standing. My local communistic college does not offer much in the way of photography classes nor do any local camera stores, but the college is expanding its offerings.

Thanks!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!