[rollei_list] Re: OT Ancient Computers (was Re: Re: Rollei -Singapore) now analogue versus digital

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:33:31 +0000

The sharpness is clear. It is true that with low speed B&W film working on a tripod extremely high resolution can be achieved using the Leica and film. OTOH I am an amateur photographer not making scientific records. I haven't used a slow high resolution B&W film since I was at school. Resolution is the only benefit of -some- film over the better quality digital. High resolution is certainly of academic interest and fascination to the engineer in me. For the largest prints I make the resolution I get with digital is adequate, the other areas of superiority make all the difference. OTOH if I was going to produce a large poster I would shoot both film and digital to see which I preferred on paper.

Many people have commented how much more demanding digital is in focussing precision. Film seems to mask the issue, perhaps because emulsion thickness means that the plane of focus is "somewhere in there".

best regards,
Frank

On 12 Jan, 2009, at 20:57, austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Frank,

The only area where I have found digital a bit more difficult than
film is in focussing. My M8 is so much sharper than my M6...

This is where the perception of sharpness is giving you a false sense of "better". The M6 will, with the right film and technique etc. give you higher resolution (and higher image fidelity) than the M8. There is simply
no question than that.

An interesting thing to note...there is a reason why 10,000SPI drum
scanners exist, and people pay extra money to get scans of film done on them. And, the images from them look significantly better than the same
image scanned at a lower resolution.

Also, when printing digitally anyway, all you need is "enough" to print at the size and resolution you are printing. Anything above that is simply
lost.

Regards,

Austin