[rollei_list] Re: OT Ancient Computers (was Re: Re: Rollei -Singapore) now analogue versus digital

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:20:01 +0000

Dear Austin,
you have made this statement many times in the past. Would you be so kind as to specify for -which- aspects of photography, format for format, film is superior (other than cost for someone who doesn't take many pictures)? There really is absolutely -no- aspects of my own photograph I can find where film can give comparable results to the digital cameras I have available, and I have not tried the expensive medium format backs. I get some enjoyment still from film photography from time to time, but it is for nostalgia only!
best regards,
Frank

On 12 Jan, 2009, at 17:18, austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Frank,

In all practical ways digital has exceeded the capability
of film for some time.

That depends on what you mean by "practical ways". The image quality is in some circumstances better, and in some not better. But, that also depends
on what you mean by "better".  So, as a blanket statement, I'd have to
disagree strongly.

Regards,

Austin