[rollei_list] Re: OT Ancient Computers (was Re: Re: Rollei -Singapore) now analogue versus digital

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:55:01 -0800 (PST)

Frank, I really can't imagine the way you use your film cameras to obtain those
conclusions.

Films have personality; DSLRs don't. While many DSLRs let you dial in higher or
lower saturation and contrast, those crude adjustments can't compare to the
richness of film, whether Velvia's crisp, saturated look or the delicate tonal
shoulder of Tri-X. (Black-and-white is a particular challenge for digital,
especially in-camera.)
Film can be manipulated to soak up even more of a scene's tonal extremes. You
can rein in highlights by "pulling," or shortening, the development of b&w
film. You compensate for this by adding exposure when shooting, improving
shadow detail. You can overexpose color negative film by as much as four stops
to increase shadow detail and reduce contrast, without damaging highlight
nuances.

Some super-duper digital backs claim to match or exceed the range captured by
film. If you can afford them, go for it -- and bring along your laptop.

You can sharpen a digital image in software. And with most DSLRs you must,
because images are considerably softened by anti-aliasing filters that keep
their sensors from recording jagged edges and moiré patterns. Yet if you overdo
your sharpening, the image can take on a distractingly "crispy" appearance. The
sharpness you get from film is more natural looking.

(Some parts above were taken from a Pop Photo article by Russell Hart)

Digital is very practical to use for a lot of situations and well balanced
images look very nice in the monitor screens, but most of them don't show the
detail richness and tones subtleties you can obtain from a neg or slide for
prints, magazines, projection, books etc. and I'm talking about a 35mm format.

Carlos