[rollei_list] Re: Lightmeters and Estimated Photography

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 01:18:05 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <jon.stanton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 10:21 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Lightmeters and Estimated
Photography

> "BTW, I don't think the air was very dirty in NYC back in
> 1936.  There were not that many cars. (Middle of the
> Great Depression) There were horse drawn wagons and
> electric trolleys instead of buses."
> More coal was being burned back then in all likelihood

   Depends on the kind of coal. When I was a kid in Detroit
in the early 1940's soft coal was banned for home heating.
Hard coal (anthricite) burns with a blue flame like gas and
produces very little ash. Railroads and industries mostly
used bituminous coal but there are lots of grades from low
sulfur clean burning to very dirty smoky coal. Detroit was
not too dirty although old buildings tended to be coated
with soot. My dad had his law offices in the Majestic
Building (st 910). I thought this building was black until
it was cleaned one year and turned out to be concrete gray.
   Coal burning locomotives were banned in Manhattan early
in the last century. All railroads coming into Manhattan
were electric. One reason was that they had to come through
tunnels. I am not sure about other areas. Many of the large
buildings in mid town were (and probably still are) heated
by steam generated by Consolidated Edison or the New York
Steam Company (historically) and piped over under the
streets. The steam was almost certainly generated by burning
coal but the smoke would have been concentrated in one
place.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA