[rollei_list] Re: Kodak Discontinuing All B&W Paper

  • From: John Browning <j_browning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:21:18 -0700

I think I've read that Kodak had some of the best selling digital
consumer cameras over Christmas, in the US.  As to overall
profitability, I'm under the impression that Kodak is finding the woods
getting darker not lighter.  I don't have any real knowledge of Nikon
except that it seems to expand, year after year, in the areas where
it's active.  Where has Kodak consistently expanded?  With large
companies, like Nikon, there is a difficulty understanding what part
any niche plays in the total picture, a problem that also makes reading
Canon accurately difficult.  Canon has also, of course, expanded
continuously.  Nevertheless, the visibility of Nikon and Canon's
persistent expansion may admittedly hide a low level of profitability
and these companies efforts are financed by other operations, or
socialized via Japan's legal-business structure which puts high costs
on the consumer rather than business.  Nevertheless, the visibility and
prominence of the expansion certainly gives the impression of success.

John