[rollei_list] Re: Kodak Discontinuing All B&W Paper

  • From: TrueBadger@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:13:48 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/2005 6:16:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Is it that a big company can't divide itself into segments to fill niches
> or is it that for an executive to head a small division in a large firm is a
> ticket to nowhere in the corporation?
>
> Doug Nygren

I think it follows from a mindset and a philosophy that says that a product
line, subsidiary, or other "sector" that exists within the corporation, but
that does not produce at least fifty million (arbitrary number) in profits
simply
isn't worth a senior executive's time or interest.

Through my working life I saw many large corporations buy "clusters" of
smaller companies that some smaller, but still large corporation had assembled.
year later, perhaps half of these "packaged" companies would be sold off, if
that could be done without too much trouble, or if deemed to be so, then simply
shut down, in a few cases, they would be sold back to the original owners if
they were interested, usually at a bargain price.
.
Far more than once I saw companies that had operated profitably at say the 5
to 15 million a year annual sales level for original owners simply shut down
by the large corporation that bought them.  Neither continuing operating them
at that level, or putting resources into trying to make them grow was
attractive to the new owners.

It makes no real sense to me, but then I'm not a half-million a year
executive.

G. King