[rollei_list] Re: Kodak Discontinuing All B&W Paper

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:07:18 -0700

At 02:34 PM 6/15/2005, Eric wrote:
>This accompanies a similar thread on that "other" rollei list alluding to
>a rangefinder camera that would have succeeded IF ONLY it had been
>marketed well... The meaning/ role of marketing at different companies is
>just completely different, and pointing a finger at" marketing" as the
>ubiquitous failure is typically ill-informed, simplictic, and usually just
>out-and-out wrong.
>
>Eric Goldstein
The fact of the matter is that, with respect to consumer products, Kodak
didn't have to do any real marketing from the very beginning.  They did
keep their bright yellow ads in front of everyone but that was it.

On the industrial side of things, Microfiche handlers, storage systems, and
Computer output microfilm (COM) systems, they did indeed do old-fashioned
marketing.

Consumer sales were simply a matter of letting it happen.  One thing I
thought very strange is that the employee discount in the company store was
only 10-20%, not as high as the discounts on the open market.

Countering that was their excellent employee benefits packages, however.

I'm sure things have changed since my last visit there.  When I was last
there Kodak, Ilex, 3M, Xerox, Bausch, and many other companies were in town
and everyone knew everyone else.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA