[rollei_list] Re: IR Photography

  • From: "Alexander Rautenberg" <alexander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:01:00 -0000

Well, my dislike of HIE goes back a number of years when I tried a few rolls
in 35mm format, and I found the grain so bad it really took the fun out of
it. This may be different on a 6x6cm negative, however, so might be worth
another try.

Except that Bob Shell [bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx] mentioned earlier that they don't
make it in 120 anyway. I haven't checked so far, but if this is the case
then it's out of the question... the whole exercise is about putting my TLR
to a good use where I expect it to have an edge over the 35mm SLR.

And Bob, I think I saw the Maco film in 120. Also worth mentioning, I am
sure that a couple of years ago there were two different IR films from Maco,
but recently could only find one of them on the price list. Seems like
choice isn't really increasing in this market segment. :(

Re Scott Hamming [Scott.Hamming@xxxxxxxxxx]...

Scott, I don't know what the film advance mechanism you mention is about. I
have a Rolleiflex T (Type 1), rather old and all mechanic, and it has a film
advance mechanism, but at the start of a new roll I have to manually spool
up to the little mark on the paper. That's where I expect to fail in
darkness.

Wrt the Rollei IR filter (Laurence Cuffe [Laurence.Cuffe@xxxxxx]) I must
asmit that I wasn't aware such a beast existed. I haven't been using the
Rolleiflex regularly, so it's only been the last few days that I have been
looking out for film/accessories for it. I was going for B+W, who still have
Rollei bay 1 in their price list... so is there another IR filter from
Rollei for bay 1 which would do distance adjustment for me? This is getting
better and better. :)

Any clue where I could try to obtain one of these?

Also, very interested to hear about the results from your IR experiments
with R3 film, once you have them.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Alexander