[rollei_list] Re: Digital printing v. Analog

  • From: Richard Urmonas <rurmonas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:27:44 +091800

Quoting "Peter K." <peterk727@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Austin,=20
>
> I have seen many digital images. Done right, you could not tell the
> difference between a quality digital image at 11x14 or one from a film
> camera.

Perhaps for the type of photography you do / are interested in.  However
not for all forms of photography.  I have a range of 8x10 and 11x14 prints
from a 4 MP digital, and the lack of detail (to my eye) is very noticable.  To
me it is even obvious in 5x7 prints.  In saying this I am of course discounting
any photographs which are 'difficult' for a digital to capture.  By comparison
I have similar sized prints from film (MF) which are very detailed.  All prints
were done by respected pro labs.

I have in recent times gone to digital darkroom, and while I am still
very much a beginner in using a scanner, the detail I am able to get
from film amazes me.  A few weekends ago I was scanning some Rollei
b&W negs, and the detail was beyond the scanners ability to capture it.
This fine detail is very obvious on prints from these scanned files.

> However, if you are comparing 4x6 or 5x7 prints done at a one-hour lab
> with the terrible digital prints you get at your local Walgreens or
> Wal-Mart, it is the printing that is bad and not the image from the
> digital camera.

Yes, agreed.  Far too often I come across people comparing
cameras / lenses / whatever and using bad 1 hour lab prints
for the purpose.  It amuses me that they will go out and spend
$1000s on new gear, but then compromise on the images
just to save a few cents.

Richard
--
Richard Urmonas