[rollei_list] Re: Digital printing v. Analog

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <Laurence.Cuffe@xxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:47:53 +0100 (IST)

Hi all
I think I've got to weigh in with Austin here, and say that big blow
ups from digital cameras stink.  There are two issues here. One is the
sensitized observer, if your really familiar with digital technology at
the nuts and bolts level you know what the artifacts it produces look
like and they stand out a mile. A normal viewer wont see them. Its just
like poor dodging in a darkroom print. If you know how to do it, you
see it, if you don't, you wont.
The second is interpolation digital textures, edge sharpening, and the
like, again they can produce an image which is "hyper real" but its not
the reality which was originally present, and thus I say it stinks.

I think the area where its easiest to distinguish the results of
digital from real film is textures, as the level of detail required to
distinguish say silk from fine linen, or the surface of a birch leaf
from the surface of a beach leaf is still a challenge for digital
cameras.
All the best
Larry Cuffe