[rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:04:27 -0400

> Nearly every professional photographer I know has switched from Nikon
> to Canon. I noticed the switch beginning 14 years ago. I have a Canon
> pro film camera and like it. I put an adapter on the body and put Leica
> R lenses on it. You need to change the focusing screen if you do that.
> That's not a big deal. I toy with the idea of buying the Canon D5 or is
> it called the 5D. Full frame. My friends get good results.
> The one Nikon camera I hear good things about is the new Nikon D5. It
> can shoot at very fast speeds with no noise. It costs $5,000. The Canon
> is 2 grand less. Shooting at a high ISO in low light is attractive.
> With film I use Ilford 3200 at 1000 90% of the time. I hear 3200 looks
> good on the Nikon. That catches my interest.
>
> Let us know what you get.
>
> Best--Doug

Nikons lower priced full frame is of course in the wings.

I'm a professional photographer and I have not switched from Nikon to Canon.
I use lenses on my D200 and D40x which I bought in the 70's and 80s as well
as 90's.
I just did a feature for a great metropolitan newspaper here in New York
using a 14mm 2.8 and a 28 1.4 only.
Come to think of it here it is:
http://tinyurl.com/63rko8

When I got into professional photography in the mid 70's I was intrigued by
the new Olympus OM1 system.
I was told that if I did not use Nikons I'd not be considered legitimate in
the business. So that was the main reason I got an F2 the year it came out
as my first SLR. (and was told by everybody it was junk just get an F. I
didn't listen.)

That's the way it's always been in photography.
Photographers don't buy the best camera.
They buy the ones they think will make them perceived as legit.
Then it was Nikon.
Now its Canon.

I knew a guy shot Canon F1's in the late 70's I thought he was really cool
and did great work. Also a guy who had to switch from Oly's to Nikons
pressure from his boss.

It of course doesn't make any difference much which camera you use most
people just buy and sell cameras and never make pictures.

Buy a Pentax Spotmatic.
Take pictures with it.
Make prints.
Show them to people.