[rollei_list] Re: Digital Advice

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:59:54 -0400

On May 28, 2008, at 12:23 PM, dnygr wrote:

I haven't warmed to digital much. I scan film, am amazed at the control Photoshop provides, but can't say I find any of the printers to much more than fine poster makers.

I just had a similar thought while working on some scans of film negatives this morning. In my case, it is more about the process than the output (printers). The whole point to using 120 and larger sized cameras is to obtain greater detail and smoother tones. Both of these are next to impossible to maintain on a typical computer monitor, especially an LCD such as this laptop contains. Even though I am working on quite-good scans from Rollei TLR negatives, the low resolution and color depth make me feel like I have gauze over my eyes. There's no joy in that.

Additionally, the use of the monitor to replace the test print or proof sheet of contact prints represents a much greater departure from the immediacy of a print (traditional or digital). I find that the low level of detail available on a computer monitor encourages a focus on gross details to the detriment of compositional subtlety. I am talking about my own work here. The monitor gives me a false sense of which negatives or captures "work" in a print, with its much higher resolution and often larger size.

Please note that I am not talking about the output of digital printers here, which can be much higher fidelity of course. Just the intermediate steps which take place on a computer screen.

Best regards,
Aaron