[rollei_list] Re: Comic art was Re: OT: Miscellany

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:54:50 -0400

At 03:38 PM 9/10/2007, Michael Eric Berube wrote:

>I think that you mean that it closed in 1993. I don't know when they had
>shifted training shooters from Ft. Meade to Lowry, but my AIT was there
>NOV87-MAY86 and 'Lowry Technical Training Center' was still a very
>active in training instrumentation calibration folks as well as the
>aerial & satellite recon photo interpretation folks, illustrators,
>video/mopic and still photographers etc... They had the best damn 'mess
>halls' that I ever ate at and a package store just outside of every gate.

I do not recall precisely when Lowry closed though I suspect that five minutes on GOOGLE would reveal this. I just know that DOD had decided around 1973 to ramp it down with eventual closure the goal: this was a huge issue in Colorado Senate and House elections for a decade or more. A cousin worked at Lowry and lost her job there in 1983 though the Feds shifted her to a job in downtown Denver to protect her retirement.

I had not realized that photographers were ever trained at Fort Meade, and I find that most questionable: Meade was an Armor post until 1923 but has been a command post since then. It certainly has not been a training post since at least 1947 to my fairly certain knowledge, though some training was conducted there during World War II.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!