[rollei_list] Re: Comic art was Re: OT: Miscellany

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:10:35 -0400

At 01:49 PM 9/10/2007, Michael Eric Berube wrote:
>After Basic Training at Ft. Leonard Wood, in MO, I was assigned to the
>Army Detachment at Lowry AFB in Denver for 6 mo for AIT. At that time
>all branches except the Navy went to Lowry (which is a civilian business
>park now).

Lowry was being converted to teach only instrument calibration in the middle 1970's and they were shifting the photographer training to Uncle Ben's Rest Home in Indianapolis at that time. Lowry was closed around 1983 -- it had technically ceased to be an AFB when the runways were closed to regular traffic due to the risk of a crash taking out a chunk of downtown Denver. That was around 1955 or so, and Lowry became an Air Force Station thereafter.

DINFOS was at Fort Benjamin Harrison into the 1990's when it was moved as they closed down the Rest Home. Now, THAT was a great Post!

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!