[rollei_list] Re: Comic art was Re: OT: Miscellany

  • From: "Robert Lilley" <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:23:43 -0400

Allen,

Her name was Connie Rodd.  I always enjoyed the personification of the
various parts and machines - air filters and rifle bolts that could talk,
etc.

The characters Connie Rodd and Sgt Half-Mast were first featured in WWII's
"Army Motors" - the first maintenance magazine.  "PS" as we know it and
Eisner didn't get into the act until the Korean War - 1951.  He worked on
and off on the magazine for twenty years.  Eisner trained Murphy Anderson to
take over and after that a series of artists have continued the characters.
The last artist (circa 2000) was Joe Kubert of "Sgt Rock" comic fame.  I
believe the unit putting out the magazine was relocated from Ft Knox to
Redstone Arsenal, Al in the early 1990's.  The title was actually "PS" not
"PM" like most people seemed to read it.  The"PS" stood for Post Script as
the magazine was a post script to the regular army publications.

Out of nowhere in 2001 I received a 50 year anniversary edition (1951 -
2001) of PS in the mail.  I was on some list of folks to get it I suppose.
I had forgotten all about that little sojourn in the past.  Speaking of
draftees, I was at the Pentagon in 1972 when the draft was dismantled.  I
remember being told that everybody on their first enlistment had to make up
their minds in about two weeks - to re-enlist or get out.  In my case that
would have been a year's drop from my four year hitch if I had not stayed
in.  The army changed a great deal after the draft - it seemed as though any
and all intellect within the "other ranks"* was gone and it was pretty awful
during those first years of the "all volunteer army".

Rob Lilley

*PS - I had a plaque over my drawing board with a phase from an 1890's army
officer's handbook that stated, "Enlisted men are stupid. However, they are
sly and cunning and bear considerable watching".  By virtue of being married
to a GS-15 general officer equivalent Army civilian at the time, I was the
only EM to be a member of the Fort Lee Open Officers Mess and a general
embarrassment - my chain of command was rather expedient.