[rollei_list] Re: Bubbles in Schneider Lens!!!

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:10:05 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "J Patric Dahlén" <jenspatricdahlen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 1:37 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Bubbles in Schneider Lens!!!

> >From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>However,
>>I think what the guy means is what appear to be bubbles
>>around the edge of the lens. This is the anti-reflection
>>paint on the edges of the elements flaking off.
>
> The 3,5 Tessar on my Rolleiflex Standard had no black
> paint at all, so the
> edges look white! I don't think it affects the performance
> at all, since
> this is one of the best Tessars I have.
>
> /Patric

   It didn't come from the factory that way. I wonder what
happened.
   Not all elements need the paint. If the edges are thin
enough or there is something else that prevents internal
reflection the paint isn't needed. In most elements it is.
Also, in cemented components the paint acts as a seal. I
think one reason some old lenses, with Canada Balsam cement,
seem not to have edge oxidation or separation and others do
is a differnce in the quality of the edge paint. I can't
prove this but, for instance, my impression is that Bausch &
Lomb lenses are more likely to have cement problems than
their Zeiss counterparts.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA