[rollei_list] Re: Bubbles in Schneider Lens!!!

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:54:02 -0700

At 09:54 AM 4/27/2005, michael Sta. Maria wrote:
>Hello all,
>           This is probably a stupid question, but I
>just won a bid on *bay for a 210mm symmar-s lens and
>now I am questioning whether I really want it. In the
>description there are bubbles barely visible between
>the lens elements if seen at an angle.  Does this
>affect image quality?  Where do these bubbles come
>from?
>
>Please have a look:  Item number: 7508963819  on *bay
I think conventional wisdom supports the sellers assertion that glass
bubbles or cement voids won't affect the result unless they are large or
numerous.  The main effect is on the mind of the owner in using something
"not perfect", an unfortunate trait I share with many folks.

I think I have even seen paperwork with lenses saying the same thing.  The
only possible problem could be in extremely high contrast situations.

I would guess that Dick Knoppow would agree.  Let's see what he says.

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA