[rollei_list] Re: Benser and LowePro Mini-magnum cases and others

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:41:18 -0400

At 07:53 PM 10/29/2007, JMN * wrote:
It seems clear from the thread that we all look a bag where form follows function without revealing expensive equipment within. Yet some camera manufacturers offer camera bags with obvious markings that scream "expensive camera gear inside".
Hello! I have to ask why would you want something like this?

<sigh>  You boys do live in a world of paanoia.

The sort of guys who will steal your gear are looking for readily hocked items such as iPods and Walkmans. They have never heard of Rolleiflex or Leica and would not be able to sell these if they stole them. These folks are dummies. At Baltimore camera shows, we used to have thugs coming through offering us Leicas they had picked up by mistake for $5, as they had no idea of what they had and no sophistication about how to sell these and had been rejected by all of the usual fences. The word has gone out to the druggie community: steal all of the laptops you can and all of the iPods but leave most cameras alone.

Now, that doesn't mean that your gear at home is safe. A targeted strike COULD be made on a given person's abode by a cunning dude but this is rather unlikely.

I regularly carry expensive camera gear in rough neighborhoods. My Leica set is in a Billingham. No hu-hu. I am worried that they will steal my wristwatch or my cell phone but I have not the slightest worry about the theft of my camera gear. The stealer would have no idea of the value and no idea of how to market it.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!