[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Wooden tripods

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:17:07 -0400

> I have a Zone VI wooden tripod.  I used to use it for my 8x10 but on 3 or
> 4 occassions I have left the camera set up on the tripod at night and in
> the morning found it collapsed on the floor with a broken wooden camera
> that needs glueing back together.  It turns out that when you leave it set
> up at night, one part or the other shrinks in the cold and the leg
> extension quit holding.  I have a habit of tightening things only just
> tight enough.
>
> I am looking to get a Carbon Fiber tripod though I already have enough
> tripods to open a used tripod store.  A large heavy duty Gitzo and a heavy
> duty Bogen a small Rollei tripod and a Tiltall along with the zone VI and
> a medium Gitzo for the 4x5.  I pretty much hate all of them except the
> Bogen and the Rollei.
>
> I was hoping the conversation would lead to lots of recommendations for
> different Carbon Fiber tripods as I need to figure out what to get.  Just
> for the Rollei,  that does not have twisting leg locks and does have a
> center column and will go up to 6 feet and is sturdy and costs less than
> 300 dollars.

Dave I have a Reis and when all is said and done the Gitzo Carbon fiber
which is my most recent this year is all I ever want to use. I resisted them
as I also was starting a tripod store. With all kinds of tripods and 3 metal
Gitzos with leg warmers. A Davis & Sanborne RTS medium wait which is like a
Gitzo blown up with air. A very small cheap Cullman. My Ries is the J 100
with the awkward very large platform.

My Gitzo is just a tad on the light side which is what made it just a tad on
the cheap side. And it was a close out as this year they've improved the
tightening thingies. Its the G-1157 Mountaineer Sport 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod
legs (Rapid Column) I got from B&H for $369 I got in April. The other brand,
brand x was not that much cheaper. Bogens are probably ok. But the Gitzo
just exudes quality and tripods are the top of my priorities. I'll take a
second class camera body just give me a first class tripod. And lens.

Carbon fiber to me is after all the thing tripods should be made of.
But I'd imagine a variety of high techish plastics would be fine.
I'm pushing plastic here.

I left Portland And Moved the Manhattan Nov 1 of last year so its been
almost exactly a year. 30 years in Portland. It got out of hand.

A heavier Gitzo carbon and I can get rid of all my other tripods.
But those are 5 6 7 hundred bucks I think.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com