[rollei_list] Re: Back-Focus and Retro-Focus

  • From: Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 20:23:18 -0700

Eric,

Wasn't there a Medium Format SLR whose mirror not only flipped up, but whose flipping axis
moved back?  Also wasn't there an SLR which had a two-piece mirror?

Jerry

Eric Goldstein wrote:
Hi Marc -

Catch my earlier clarification/mea culpa relative to the term
retrofocus. I also promise I will not argue that a Kleenex is a
tissue, an Aspirin is acetylsalacylic acid, or that a Xerox is an
electrostatically produced toner copy ;-)

Like you, I also wondered/conjectured in earlier posts if the mirror
construction/design in the Pentacon 6 could be the factor responsible
for permitting the Biometar to be used in their cameras when Rollei
and Hasselblad had to go to a more complex lens design for their SLRs.
Carlos has offered that it might be the shutter difference that lead
to this... any thoughts?

Eric Goldstein

--

On 7/7/08, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 YOU are the one who has consistently raised retrofocus lenses as being
necessary for normal lenses.  You and Carlos have been off on a fast run
through broken country.  Perhaps the two of you mis-spoke but it seemed to
this innocent soul that the both of you were stating that normal (80mm)
lenses for medium-format cameras had to be of a retrofocus design.  Yes, you
said this.  Yes, Carlos let this slide.  Such is just not the case.  Might I
suggest that you review the bidding?

---
Ro